The Richmond heritage flush casement window is a revolutionary new window exclusively available from Gowercroft Joinery. Already specified on several Grade II listed properties, including Winston Churchill’s former home, and shortlisted for Build It Awards “Best Windows”, Richmond heritage flush casement windows are ideal for period and listed buildings, where high specification windows with a genuine slim-lined aesthetic are required.
Why do we need the Richmond Heritage Flush Casement Window?
When designing windows for heritage projects, a compromise often has to be made between the conservation requirements to maintain the character of the building and the client’s desire to minimise the ongoing energy and maintenance costs. In a considerable number of projects, the compromise solution has been to replace single glazed windows with slim double glazed windows. While on the face of it this would seem to satisfy both parties, the glazing is fundamentally unfit for purpose and in the short to medium term will not achieve either party’s aim. The performance will often reduce and in many cases the units will break down entirely, leaving the property owner without the promised improvement. The conservation officer will be faced by a property with heavily condensated units which are unsustainable for the character of the building. If you are interested in getting more information about the problem of slim double glazed units, then read our blog on the subject.
At Gowercroft, we are well known for our exceptional work on heritage and listed buildings, so we are frequently asked to manufacture high quality windows with slim double glazing. As it does not fit within our ethics, nor beliefs, to provide a product, which we know will not perform properly, our product development team has scoured the market to find innovative materials and worked hard to design a truly innovative heritage flush casement window. The Richmond heritage flush casement window is a true alternative to single glazing as the glass unit is only 6.4mm thick and the performance exceeds even modern double glazed windows.
Key features of the Richmond heritage flush casement window
The combination of Gowercroft’s traditional joinery, Pilkington Spacia™ ultra-thin vacuum glazing, modified Accoya® timber, our Patented SashSealer system, and the latest in micro-porous paint coatings makes the Richmond heritage flush casement window truly revolutionary!
The Richmond heritage flush casement window provides the following benefits:
- Slender 18mm glazing bars, with elegant extended profiles to further reduce the perceived width. Internal and external bars to replicate traditional putty pointed window design. Period ironware including cockspur handles and casement stays. Operation via traditional butt hinged system.
- All gaskets are fully concealed and cannot be seen on either face of the window.
- Whole window U-values better than standard double glazed timber windows, surpassing Part L Building Regulation requirements for new build properties. An example Richmond Heritage flush casement (two-light casement) window of 1480mm x 1230mm will deliver a whole window U-value of below 1.40W/m².
- As Pilkington Spacia™ is weld-sealed, there is no gas leakage so its energy efficiency does not diminish with time (Double Glazing In Listed Buildings; Research report 2: Thermal performance Report commissioned by Changeworks on behalf of Historic Scotland, March 2010).
- Full 10-year guarantee, with no maintenance requirement and no small print, on all elements of the window. Fully eligible for our lifetime guarantee under our TimbaCare serviced maintenance programme. Accoya® acetylated wood has the best longevity of any timber on the market; the raw timber is class 1 durability-rated and has a 70-year minimum service life (demonstrated in research by TRADA).
The Richmond heritage flush casement window represents a genuine long term solution in the listed property and conservation market. Our heritage range includes the Winston Heritage sliding sash window and bespoke doorsets, so you can complete the whole project in a unified style.
We service the whole of the U.K., so if you have an upcoming project and would like further information, an onsite demonstration of the product or a full tour of our Derbyshire workshop, then call us today!